Knowingly or unknowingly we often micro-manage. It is non value add activity that poisons the working culture and employee’s development. It always leads to ‘Loss-Loss’ situation.
But, why do we micromanage?
I think of following reasons:
- We don’t have enough to do – So, we just create work for ourselves by forcefully managing others.
- Perfectionists – Perfectionists have tendency to desire the outcome in certain shape or form. Therefore, chances are that they micromanage to get what they want.
- More than one ways could be right – We do not acknowledge that there can be more than one ways to get to the desired outcome.
- We don’t want to take risk – Some panic to fully delegate because they worry too much. So, they involve in every step of the process, just to make sure they are safe.
- We don’t trust – Some don’t trust others. They often find ourselves standing over others shoulders to ensure quality of the outcome.
- We try to cover-up our insecurities – Knowing or unknowingly we all exposed to insecurities. Sometimes we try to cover-up our insecurities by exerting control over others.
- We are over protective of your employees – We treat our employees like kids and try to protect them for vulnerabilities of outside world.
- Emotional connection to outcome – Then, everything appears to be a threat or risk. We work long hours and delegation becomes overly complicated.
- People are different – We do not acknowledge that people think differently and we do not value difference in opinion
- It boosts our ego – This is big one! Taking control of everything and being overly busy is a known corporate norm. It boosts our ego because we feel important being part of every meeting and email.
Undertaking some self-evaluation based on above points, I have found myself guilty of micro managing too. However, with some self-awareness and self-management, I am able to make much improvement in my management career.
What about you? Do you think you micromanage? Have you asked your peers, employees, spouse or kids? What are the reasons for your micromanagement? How you can improve?
Leave me a comment!