Uh – Finally, ERP implementation project is over! Business-As-Usual now!
But, have you thought of servicing your ERP? If not, then read carefully!
Your ERP is a business tool (Information processing machine). Like all other complex machines, your ERP needs service. So, get your ERP logbook now!
Here are few points to consider:
- Data Quality – Due to staff turnover, low level of governance and lack on ERP training, data quality deteriorates, over a period.
- ERPs Evolve – Both SaaS and On-Premise ERPs continue to offer new features and bug fixes. Why not to take advantage?
- Creative Staff – If staff turnover is high, without proper guidance, new staff generally finds new ways of working around the ERP. These new ways use multiple documents and spreadsheets outside ERP. Not pretty!
- Creative Technical Staff – Untrained technical people do more harm than good. Rather than using in-build capability within ERP, technical staff may introduce unnecessary scripts to automate and batch processing.
- Your business changes – New services, process/workflow changes. It is risky to rely on internal staff to making silo changes in the ERP.
- Infrastructure and Database optimisation (for On-Premise ERPs) – As your business grows your ERP infrastructure needs grow as well. Your IT team should ensure ERP database is optimised for optimum performance.
So, what I mean by Servicing ERP?
I mean routine health check-up of your ERP by an expert / ERP Consultant/Vendor. During health check, ERP Consultant will prescribe how you can improve use ERP.
One of the major reasons business invest in implementing new ERP is because of lack of investment in existing ERP! Invest carefully!