Your digital initiative is as good as the people working on it. As a Project Sponsor, you must attract the best possible talent for your project. Therefore, get the best possible internal team and top vendors for your project.
Now, here is a question for you: How to get the top-notch vendors to work with you?
The answer is straightforward. Become the most valuable customer you possibly can. To attract top vendors, we must focus on two main things:
- What is there for the vendors?
Think about how the vendor and your organisation will benefit from the engagement? It is easy to protect your interest only. But, if you want to attract top vendors, think win-win for both parties. Of course, the project must be profitable for the vendor. But, on the other hand, the vendor must give more value, in return!
What is there for the vendors?
Other than commercial benefit, what else is there for the vendor? Consider the following points:
- Referral: Tell the vendor that you will be happy to refer them to other prospects after the successful implementation.
- Reference: Offer to provide an excellent reference to other prospects
- Dedicated best team: Commit to putting your best people on the project
- Intellectual Property (IP): Develop a clear communication on ownership and use of IP
- Executive sponsorship: Demonstrate your commitment and support to the initiative
- Sense of urgency: Demonstrate that you serious about the business
- Higher and moral motive: Demonstrate how the initiative will change the world, people, communities, or environment
- The bigger picture: If you have other big plans the vendor can assist you with, there is value in sharing them
If you want to work with the best vendors, you must look at the big picture beyond the commercial dimensions. So focus on other aspects and tell a compelling story about how you are the most valuable customer!
Digital Leadership Daily Dose
Join for the latest insights, tools and strategies for digital leadership