Okay, you are appointed as the Project Sponsors of the software implementation projects. You may be a busy C-suite executive with no software project experience. You are scratching your head and asking yourself: How do I oversee a software implementation project without experience?
Here are a few steps that may help you:
- Please do not sit on the side and expect that the Project team and vendors will do their job
- Educate yourself by asking many questions to search engines, AI (Chat GPT) and people around you.
- Software implementation projects can feel daunting. However, they are not different from other domains that you may know. For example, managing projects for other capital projects, manufacturing, and service delivery.
- Start from what you know based on your background and slowly build your knowledge
- Hire a trusted consultant who can help you navigate
- Network with other sponsors and learn from their experiences
The key message is to not sit on a side and pretend everything will be fine. Instead, roll your sleeves and involve yourself. There is plenty of help available. You must keep your eyes open and seek! Remember that as a Project Sponsor, you are accountable for the project. So, do not let down the people who have trusted you. Start learning from where you are and what you know!